Monday, September 21, 2009

Indifference.

Three months. I've been unemployed and mooching off my parents for three months. I was kind of desperate for a job before, but now I'm just humiliated. Three months?! Seriously, world? Throw me a bone here!

While pondering my jobless existence, I remembered a meaningful quote from Elie Wiesel's Holocaust memoir Night. The quote is fairly famous and chances are you've heard it before.

"The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."


Man, that quote gives me goosebumps. If you haven't read Night yet, you should really look into it. It's a relatively quick read but definitely not something that you'll soon forget. So what exactly is the connection between the Holocaust and my floundering job search? Well, I'll tell you.

Since arriving in Texas, I've been writing cover letter after cover letter. I have more than 50 different versions of my resume. I have been sending email after email to countless employers hoping to finally get hired. However, aside from not getting the job, I'm not even getting acknowledged! At this point, I'm ecstatic if I get formally rejected by an employer. I have stopped dreaming of actually getting an interview and will now settle for a notice informing me that I did not get the job. I have received less than five replies from said employers because of the "large volume of applicants." Bullshit. Call me crazy, but that's not how companies should be operating. By snubbing job candidates, they are also snubbing potential customers.

And thus, the opposite of landing a position is not rejection, but indifference from the employers. The worst that can happen is not being passed up for a job, but being flat out ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment