Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Extravagance.

I am 8,103 days old today.

Day 8,103: It's hard to have faith in humanity.

I woke up super early this morning to go to the DSW in Dallas. They were having a secret 60% off Gucci sale. My cousin bought a Gucci belt for 30 bucks. Sweet deal, I guess. There were some women buying multiple $300.00 purses, $250.00 shoes, and $200.00 wallets. Does that not sound crazy to you?
How can people be spending that much money on a purse?!? I can find you a fully functional and equally stylish purse for 40 bucks at TJ Maxx. Hell, I can do it for 20. What is the obsession with buying expensive shit to hold your expensive shit? Forget that there are starving people in Africa, there are starving people down the fucking street! Now, I'm not saying that you don't have the right to buy yourself something nice but do you really need five $300.00 purses? Do you really need to have eight cars that each cost enough to feed a small country? Why not just buy one or even two and feed a couple thousand people on the side?

Which leads me to people who earn six figure salaries. Do you really need that much money? Again, I'm not saying that I think people should give away everything they own and live in poverty. People have a right to live comfortably, but people also have the right to eat every day and not die from treatable diseases. A house is a house is a house. Hell, a mansion is a mansion is a mansion. But how many mansions will it take to make you content? How many lives could you have saved if you only looked beyond yourself?

Extravagance can be nice one in a while but extravagance for the sake of extravagance is just extravagant.

No comments:

Post a Comment